3 Backpack Choices For First Responders
August 13, 2012 Leave a Comment
First responders have many choices when it comes to finding the right backpack. You’ve got a lot of gear to carry, so you want a pack that’s practical, functional and gives you access to what you need quickly.
Backpacks can be used for emergency calls, general duty use and a variety of other purposes. So how do you find the right backpack for you?
The correct pack choice is based on your needs. Most packs fall into these 3 categories.
Lightweight packs, like the Nike Backpack offer you a durable go-anywhere solution. Their great for taking to the gym or as an overnight back bag when traveling. The fact that they don’t weigh much makes them a good choice for running through an airport or using for a multi-hour hike.
- The extra large, zippered main compartment stores items securely
- A zippered front pocket provides additional storage
- Use the mesh water bottle pocket for extra hydration when you need it
- The adjustable padded shoulder straps offer a customized and comfortable fit
- Measures 19.5″H x 14″W x 10″D
Tactical backpacks are built with one purpose in mind – to provide you everything you need for operational use. Tactical packs are perfect for first responders, public safety, military personnel and all kinds of special law enforcement. These packs are designed to be stretched to the limit and put to the test – much like the men and women who carry them on their backs! 5.11 Tactical, a leader in creating heavy duty tactical gear, makes a great backpack option.
Their tactical backpack, the Rush 24 Backpack:
- Is ruggedly constructed from water-resistant, 1,050-denier nylon
- Has hydration pockets, eyewear pockets, sternum straps and YKK® zippers throughout
- Has fleece-lined pockets along the front top, sized to hold a cell phone, PDA or mp3 player
- Offers flexible main storage compartments with internal dividers and compression straps
- Has side pockets and front organizer compartments
- Uses molle-compatible webbing on the front and sides as well as name tape and flag holders
- Measures 13″H side pockets; 20″H x 14″W
Tactical in nature and built off of military design use, all-purpose packs serve many functions. First, they can be used all day, every day for hard use – military operations, tactical use, specialized law enforcement use, SWAT and security use. They can also be used for overnight hikes, camping and patrol use. They’re built to stow a lot of gear and withstand the rigors of rough use. All-purpose backpacks like the Maxpedition Condor II Backpack will easily take a beating.
The second generation Maxpedition military assault daypack has been upgraded with the amenities of daily use in mind without compromising the integrity of rugged battlefield construction. Check out these stats!
- 1000-Denier nylon
- Du pont Teflon® fabric protector
- Triple polyurethane coated
- Main Compartment: 17.5″(H) x 14″(W) x 6.5″(D)
- Upper Front Pouch: 5.5″(H) x 9″(W) x 2″(D)
- Hydration: Fits up to 100 oz / 3L Reservoir (sold separately)
- 1950 cu. in.
When looking for a daypack or backpack for first responder use, public safety, military or law enforcement ask yourself how you plan to use the pack. That will lead you in the right direction for picking the pack that’s right for you.
For more tactical gear ideas, visit Galls.com.