Essential Public Safety Gear For Summer
June 26, 2012 1 Comment
Summer 2012 is only a few days old, but temperatures across the country are starting to heat up.
Here are a few tips to keeping cool while on duty:
- Even if you don’t feel thirsty, drink your water. Your body works better when you’re properly hydrated. Lots of water also helps to improve your body’s cooling mechanisms.
- If possible, wear light-colored, loose-fitting clothing. Trade that dark blue shirt for a kahki or white. (we realize that some departments and agencies don’t have summer oriented uniform options).
- Limit caffeine and alcohol. These liquids tend to dehydrate the body.
- Take advantage of the AC when you can – in your cruiser, etc. or find shade.
- If possible, avoid hot asphalt surfaces. The sun and summer heat radiate off the pavement making you feel hotter than you might actually be.
When it comes to apparel for first responders, Galls has essential clothing for helping to keep you cool – and looking good while you’re doing it.
Short Sleeve Shirts
Short sleeve shirts are elemental summer wear regardless of whether you’re on duty or off. Many uniforms have short sleeve options and there are other polos, performance shirts and off-duty wear designed to help keep you cool.
If you’re fortunate to be able to wear shorts on duty, Galls has a wide selection of duty shorts, tactical shorts and more. Check with your local department to determine if the option of wearing shorts is acceptable.
Summer showers require rain protection. There is nothing worse than being wet during work. Fortunately, there are many options available – from jackets to full body rain gear.
Versatile and stylish, ball caps offer great protection from bright sunshine and heat. Wearing caps will shade your face and eyes from direct sunlight, helping to keep you cooler and more refreshed.
No more squinting! Sunglasses these days are essential. Many of our patrol cops or ambulance driver require the best possible sunglasses they can find to reduce glare and direct rays.
Have any special tricks to staying cool during the hot months? Share them in the comments section below.